Dating site single marriage solomon island com
Charles Woodford (q.v.) investigated the purchase in 1902.The area to the west, bordering on Point Cruz, called 'Ta-wtu' or Mamara Plantation, was purchased by Karl Oscar Svensen (q.v.) and his partner Rabuth, and the area to the east, named 'Tenavatu' was purchased by Svensen's employee William Dumphy, apparently late in the first decade of the century.
Trans-Australia Airways (TAA) and Fiji Airways began services in 1952 using the same route, at first landing at Honiara's Kukum Fighter II airfield and later at Henderson Airfield, after it was upgraded.Levers gave up their old title and received conveyance of a smaller piece of land, including the Honiara site.After the war, in 1947, Levers sold the land to the Protectorate Government.Heavy fighting took place all along the Guadalcanal coast, much of it in what is now the centre of Honiara; for several months the surrounds of Mataniko River was a 'no-man's land' between the Japanese and the American forces.Once the Japanese were routed, the Americans set up their main base at Lungga to the east of the present town, although the huge 1st Marine Division was spread over three Levers' plantations: Kukum, Lungga and Tenaru.The core area is made up of three land leases from the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, mainly negotiated before the British Solomon Islands Protectorate was established in 1893.
The central area from Point Cruz to Tenaru, known as Kukum or Mataniko, was purchased for £60 of trade goods from Uvothea of Lungga, Allea of Manago and his son Manungo on 7 November 1886, by partners Thomas Garvin Keely, John Williams and Thomas Woodhouse, traders in the Shortlands, New Georgia and Ontong Java.
(Bathgate 1977, 5) No one thought about asking permission from the people of the area; after all, the land had been alienated for more than half a century.
And no one thought to ask other Solomon Islanders if they would like a new capital perched on a narrow coastal plain backed by dry coral rock ridges, all very sunny, exposed and infertile.
In late August 1942, Martin Clements, a Protectorate Officer who had become a coastwatcher (q.v.), was instructed by Resident Commissioner William Marchant (q.v.) (evacuated to Malaita) to resume his duties as District Officer of Guadalcanal.
By 2 September, the Resident Commissioner was himself based at Lungga and accommodations were worked out between the Allied forces and the Protectorate Government.
There they quickly began building an airfield at Lungga and a camp at nearby Kukum, from which they planned to interact with Allied shipping in the Pacific and with operations in nearby New Guinea.